Monday, April 6, 2009

When a good quality Water Heater Goes Bad


I think there’s something wrong with our water heater. Over the last few weeks I’ve noticed a change in the amount of hot water in the house…especially in the evening when it’s bath time for the kids.

I hate it when things break, because I still have so much to learn about home repair. Of course I’ll have the plumber come out and take a look, but I expect to hear that I need a new water heater. I’m not exactly sure how old this one is, but I know that the warranty has expired and what do I know about buying a water heater? Nothing.

I’ve learned that buying a major appliance requires a lot of homework. You really have to think about the features that you need before going to the showroom, because all those shiny new appliances can distract you from thinking about getting the appliance that has all the features you need without paying for things you don’t need.

I always shop for appliances that are EnergyStar rated, that’s always the first thing on my list. Sometimes you can even find tax rebates in your area when you buy EnergyStar appliances. Too bad there are no water heater rebates available for me. It’s not free, but I like the unbiased appliance advice from Consumer Reports.

All I know is that I’m going to do the research and figure out what water heater is right for my family before the old one breaks completely and we’re dirty and there isn’t a clean dish in the house. Who needs that kind of pressure?

No comments:

Post a Comment